Window Tint

What Is Factory Window Tint Percentage


What Is Factory Window Tint Percentage: One of the critical aspects of factory window tint percentage is compliance with legal regulations. These regulations vary by location and are intended to balance the aesthetic and functional benefits of window tinting with safety and visibility concerns. In many jurisdictions, laws define the allowable levels of visible light transmission (VLT) for different types of vehicle windows, including the front windshield, side windows, and rear window.

Throughout this exploration, we will journey through the intricate web of legal regulations, discussing the permissible factory window tint percentages for various types of windows and the consequences of non-compliance. We will also delve into the methods used to measure window tint percentage and the potential modifications or additions that vehicle owners can make to their factory window tinting while remaining within the bounds of the law.

In the world of automotive design, factory window tint percentage is a powerful tool that marries form and function. As we embark on this journey of discovery, we will unravel the nuances of this art and science, shedding light on the factors that shape the appearance and performance of factory window tinting. Ultimately, we will gain a deeper appreciation for the role that factory window tint percentage plays in enhancing the driving experience and elevating the allure of our beloved automobiles.

What Is Factory Window Tint Percentage

What percent window tint is best?

Based on its reduction of UV light — this tint can usually block 99% of the sun’s UV rays — and IR reduction, its reduction of glare and modest addition of privacy, and based on the fact that it’s usually legal, 50% car window tint is a best choice for many motorists.

50% or Higher: This is a light window tint that offers minimal darkness. It provides a slight reduction in glare and heat but is often chosen for its unobtrusive appearance. It’s generally within the legal limits in most areas.

35% – 50%: This range is considered a “light to medium” tint. It provides some privacy and a moderate reduction in heat and glare. It’s a popular choice for those who want a balance between aesthetics and functionality. It’s legal in many states for side and rear windows but may not be allowed for front windows.

20% – 35%: Window tints in this range are considered “medium” tints. They offer increased privacy, reduced heat, and glare, and are often chosen for a sleek appearance. The exact legality varies by location, so check your local regulations.

What is 35% tint called?

35% VLT tint is one of the most popular window film largely because you can easily see through it after dark even though it adds great style and privacy by day.

A window tint with a 35% visible light transmission (VLT) percentage is often referred to as “35% tint” or “35% window tint.” This means that the window allows 35% of visible light to pass through while blocking the remaining 65%. In terms of tint darkness, it is considered a “medium” tint.

Window tint percentages are commonly used to describe the level of darkness or opacity of the tinted film applied to a vehicle’s windows. These percentages represent the amount of visible light that can pass through the tint. The lower the percentage, the darker the tint. Conversely, a higher percentage indicates a lighter or less opaque tint.

A 35% tint is a popular choice among vehicle owners who want to strike a balance between aesthetics, glare reduction, and heat rejection. It provides moderate privacy, reduces sunlight glare, and helps keep the interior of the vehicle cooler. However, it’s important to note that the legality of a 35% tint varies by location, so it’s essential to check your local regulations to ensure compliance with the law. In some areas, a 35% tint may be allowed on rear and side windows but not on front windows, while in other places, it may be subject to different restrictions.

How dark is factory privacy glass?

Factory tint is standard on the rear half of many new vehicles. With a common visual light transmission (VLT) of 15–26%, privacy glass is installed to provide passengers and personal items privacy from outsiders, hence the name privacy glass.

Light Factory Privacy Glass (Approximately 70% VLT): Some vehicles come with relatively light factory privacy glass, allowing around 70% of visible light to pass through. This provides a modest level of privacy and glare reduction.

Medium Factory Privacy Glass (Approximately 20% – 40% VLT): Many vehicles feature factory privacy glass with a moderate level of darkness, ranging from approximately 20% to 40% VLT. This provides a higher level of privacy, reduced glare, and improved heat rejection compared to lighter tints.

Dark Factory Privacy Glass (Approximately 5% – 20% VLT): Some SUVs, trucks, and luxury vehicles come equipped with dark factory privacy glass, which allows only around 5% to 20% of visible light to pass through. This provides significant privacy and heat reduction but can limit visibility, especially at night.

How dark is 50 percent tint?

50% VLT blocks out half the sun’s rays. This may not sound like enough but in fact, this is a very dark tint. This is really noticeable both from the inside and outside of the car. Keep in mind that while your window tint may be legal in your state, it may not be OK in others.

Appearance: A 50% tint has a subtle effect on the appearance of the glass. It is often chosen for its unobtrusive look, as it does not significantly alter the overall appearance of the vehicle’s windows.

Glare Reduction: While it offers some reduction in sunlight glare, especially during daytime driving, it may not be as effective as darker tints in reducing glare from headlights at night.

Heat Reduction: A 50% tint provides a modest reduction in heat from sunlight but is not as effective as darker tints at keeping the vehicle’s interior cooler.

Privacy: It offers limited privacy by slightly reducing the visibility of the vehicle’s interior from the outside. However, it does not provide a high level of privacy.

Is 35% or 20% tint darker?

35% tint or 20% tint, which is better? Though a 20% tint is darker and gives your car that stylish look when weighing the safety of drivers, passengers, and pedestrians, 35% is the better choice. 35% film has properties that shield you and the inside of your car from dreaded UV rays.

A 20% window tint is darker than a 35% window tint. The percentage refers to the visible light transmission (VLT), which indicates the amount of visible light that can pass through the tint. Specifically:

  • A 35% tint allows 35% of visible light to pass through while blocking the remaining 65%.
  • A 20% tint allows only 20% of visible light to pass through while blocking the remaining 80%.

So, a 20% tint is darker and more opaque than a 35% tint. It provides greater privacy, reduces more glare, and offers increased heat reduction compared to a 35% tint. However, it’s important to note that the legality of tint darkness varies by location, so always check your local regulations to ensure compliance with the law when choosing a window tint percentage. Front windows often have stricter regulations than rear windows to maintain driver visibility and safety.

Is 70% tint noticeable?

70% tint for the most part is unnoticeable once installed. If compared side by side to a non-tinted window, you can then tell the difference, but on it’s own it appears clear. 70% tint often a have a bluish hue to them.

Appearance: A 70% tint appears nearly clear, so it doesn’t significantly alter the appearance of the vehicle’s windows. It maintains the natural look of the glass.

Visibility: Both daytime and nighttime visibility are minimally affected by a 70% tint. It does not obstruct the view from inside the vehicle, making it a popular choice for those who prioritize visibility and minimal tinting effects.

Glare Reduction: While it provides a small reduction in glare from sunlight, especially during daytime driving, it is not as effective as darker tints in reducing glare from headlights at night.

Heat Reduction: A 70% tint offers minimal heat reduction compared to darker tints. It allows a significant amount of heat to enter the vehicle’s interior.

What is the darkest factory tint?

When vehicles come with a factory tint, it’s usually between 15% and 20%. A 5% is the darkest tint you can get, and you can’t see through 5% tinted car windows at all. In most states, a 5% tint is illegal. It’s most commonly used on the back windows of private cars and limousines.

The darkness of factory window tint, also known as factory privacy glass, can vary depending on the manufacturer and the specific model of the vehicle. Factory privacy glass is typically applied to the rear windows (side and rear windows) during the manufacturing process to provide increased privacy for passengers, reduce glare, and limit heat buildup. The level of darkness is expressed as a percentage of visible light transmission (VLT), which represents the amount of visible light that can pass through the glass.

While the darkness of factory privacy glass can vary, some vehicles come equipped with very dark factory tints, often ranging from approximately 5% to 20% VLT. This level of darkness is considered “dark” and provides a high level of privacy, significant reduction in glare, and effective heat rejection.

Luxury SUVs, trucks, and certain high-end vehicles are more likely to feature darker factory privacy glass, as it aligns with their design aesthetics and the expectations of their target customers. However, it’s important to note that the exact darkness of factory privacy glass can vary between different vehicle models and trim levels.

Does factory tint reduce heat?

Because factory tint is usually just dyed glass, it doesn’t provide the heat rejection or protection that superior window tint can provide.

Infrared (IR) Rejection: Factory tinted windows typically incorporate a layer that can reject a portion of the sun’s infrared (IR) radiation. IR radiation is responsible for heating up the interior of a vehicle when sunlight enters through the windows. By blocking or reflecting some of this IR radiation, factory tinted windows can help keep the interior cooler.

Visible Light Transmission (VLT): The darkness or opacity of factory tinted windows is expressed as a percentage of visible light transmission (VLT). Windows with factory tint usually have a lower VLT percentage, meaning they allow less visible light to pass through. This reduction in visible light can also contribute to reduced heat, as less light energy is absorbed and converted into heat inside the vehicle.

Glare Reduction: Factory tinted windows can reduce glare from direct sunlight. Reduced glare makes it more comfortable for passengers and the driver, as they don’t have to contend with blinding sunlight, which can increase the perception of heat.

What Is Factory Window Tint Percentage


Factory window tint percentage is an integral aspect of a vehicle’s design language. It is a tool through which automotive manufacturers express their brand identity and styling preferences. Whether it’s the dark, mysterious allure of luxury sedans or the sporty, aggressive look of performance vehicles, the choice of window tint percentage contributes significantly to the vehicle’s visual impact. As consumers, we are drawn to vehicles that resonate with our tastes and preferences, and factory window tinting is a critical element in this equation.

Beyond aesthetics, factory window tint percentage offers a wealth of practical benefits. Reduced glare from sunlight and headlights enhances driving comfort and safety, especially during challenging lighting conditions. The ability to maintain a cooler interior temperature, courtesy of heat-reduction properties, adds to the overall comfort of the driving experience. The safeguarding of vehicle occupants from harmful UV rays exemplifies the commitment to safety and well-being.

Factory window tinting also serves as a barrier that enhances privacy and security. It shields the interior of the vehicle from prying eyes, providing a sense of seclusion and personal space. This added layer of privacy contributes to the overall sense of well-being for both drivers and passengers. Moreover, the tinted film can reinforce the glass, making it more resistant to shattering, which enhances the vehicle’s security.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button